I have Lawn
Common Lawn Problems
So, you already have some lawn, but maybe it isn’t looking so flash. We can help!
Here are some common presenting lawn problems and how to fix them.
What are the most common big lawn issues?
Water, Feeding & Mowing. Sometimes it can be a soil, bug, weed or disease problem.
Most common lawn problems we come across. come watering issues, so it’s best to get it sorted as soon as you can.
- Lack of watering – your lawn simply needs a boost in watering. Lawn loves a deep soaking, extending it roots down deep. Water is important during the long dry south Australian summers.
- Uneven watering – your lawn is made up of thousands of little plants that all need the same amount of water to grow evenly. Most often we see uneven and ineffective watering practices and systems causing lawn problems, this is easily fixed with checking your watering system and sprinklers. Are they watering evenly?
Giving you lawn at least one deep even soaks a week, will help build lawn resilience. (1-2hours)
The best way to check the efficiency of your watering is by performing a water audit.
- Place bowls/cups/containers randomly out on your lawn scattered in green spots and in the brown spots.
- Run the sprinkler for 5-10 minutes
- Measure the amount of water in each bowl
- The quantity should be even, if it’s not, adjust your sprinklers to ensure you are applying not only enough water but also an even application
Just like you, your lawn needs regular feeding. A complete lawn fertiliser, specifically blended for lawn, used on the change of each season is perfect.
Nitrogen, Potassium and Prosperous are the main nutrients needed with a few minor elements.
Lawns also love a dose of organic fertiliser once a year such as Blade Runner to help keep your soil rich and healthy.
If you have yellowing in your lawn it may be lacking essential nutients such as Nitrogen, Iron or Zinc.
Pest, Weeds and Disease
These three normally com into play when a lawn become unhealthy, but they can attack lawns at any time. It is best to get advice and treat the problem early.
Pests usually attack around summer and early Autumn. All lawns need a healthy number of bugs in the ground to keep the soil healthy and aerated, however when the bugs start to overtake the lawn it becomes a problem.
A couple of doses of Grub Guard is a perfect all-rounder to combat an infestation. Lawns like Kikuyu and Tall Fescue are particularly susceptible.
Weeds are always going to attack our lawns; the best defence is a lush thick healthy lawn. Weeds travel in on the wind, shoes and birds and usually attack in the winter when your lawn is not growing as vigorously. It is best to hand pull weeds where you can and throw them away some weed plants can produce 10000 weed seeds each year! Tackle weeds early.
Disease is often prevalent in spring, but often the damage is actually done in autumn. If you find you have a problem in Spring, then treating with a fungicide like Mancozeb in Autumn as a preventative.
Some lawns are more suitable to disease than other like couch.