Most of us would know what a dandelion is, whether it’s from its bright yellow flower or its form after these flowers die, a “blowball” that I’m sure everyone has had a go at in some stage of their lives.
What is a dandelion?
A dandelion is a widely distributed weed that once mature, arises from a strong, deep taproot that exudes a milky substance when cut. The leaves are noticeably wavy and can range from 50-300mm in length. The “blowball” form of the dandelion is its reproductive stage, the seeds form a parachute-like structure, ready for dispersal.
How to manage dandelions?
There are a few ways to remove dandelions, here are the most popular:
- Pulling the weed out by hand is a more frustrating job as the roots can grow down to 30cm deep. Any remains of the root left in the ground will regenerate.
- Using a weed wand or paint brush, you can apply white vinegar to the plant and this will kill both plants and roots. Avoid getting it on your grass.
- Herbicides such as RoundUp or anything containing 2,4-D or dicamba are also able to be used when the weeds are actively growing, using the same method as the vinegar.
Did you know…
All parts of a dandelion are edible.
- The root can be roasted as a coffee substitute or boiled and stir-fried.
- The flower can be made into a wine, or boiled and stir-fried.
- The leaves can be boiled, like spinach or used in salads and sandwiches.
Out of the three parts, the leaves are most widely used. They are high in vitamins A and C and iron and taste like other salad greens but with a “bite”.
The dandelion also has a few health benefits such as: digestive aid, diuretic, improved liver function, reducing inflammation and many more. Dandelions may not be as much of a pest as you may think they are.
If you have tried these solutions and are still having issues, please give our friendly staff a call on 08 8577 8826 or send through pictures to our email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to guide you through your lawn issues and help you to achieve a weed-free lawn you will love!